Ketut's Place: "Ketut's Place: Overated and Overpriced" Ubud Hotel Tip by kahhean

Ubud Hotels: 130 reviews and 226 photos

I booked three nights at Ketut's Place for US$46/night after reading all the raving reviews on the internet. My personal opinion is that Ketut's Place is just way overrated.

For the price that it is charging, and from the photos I saw on, I thought it is a "homestay" with hotel facilities. Turned out it is just a homestay charging hotel rates.

Equally overated is the "feast". To me it was a very ordinary buffet dinner.

Ketut and his wife were very landlord-like. Ketut had to go to work everyday.

I think the way to justify choosing Ketut's Place is to take the cheapest room, spend all your time in the compound, poke your nose into the kitchen, play with his birds and chickens and dogs, chat up his children, quiz Ketut on all things Balinese. If not, for $20 you can easily get equally good rooms, also with swimming pools, and just behind the central market.

Unique Qualities: It was a unique experience one night walking back to Ketut's place after watching the Barong dance.

It was normally a ten-minute walk uphill with dogs barking at you all the way. But that night, the later half stretch of street lamps were not lighted for some reason. The dogs were mad. Groups after groups rushed out and barked at me and made sure I left their territories. The sky was beautiful, full of stars, the dog's barking punctuated by the roar of motorbikes that rushed and whizzed by me, their headlights blinding me, it was quite exciting. Worse, I actually missed Ketut's Place and had to walk back about 200m.

Address: Jalan Sweta
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: 10-min walk uphill from Ubud central market.
Price: US$20-40
Theme: Hotel

• Written Jun 18, 2006

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.