"The Flinders Ranges" Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Things to Do Tip by iandsmith

Australia Things to Do: 1,336 reviews and 2,265 photos

Sunrise over Flinders

Sunrise over Flinders
      Bob feeding his family
    by iandsmith

Not soon after the sunrise commenced. I set up the camera on the tripod and got a couple with the moon and Jupiter still in it but there wasn't much colour there. Still, experience had taught me that sometimes you have to wait another 15 minutes after the false dawn before the real one happens.
So it proved to be but we'd moved a little further down the road. I needed a tree for foreground and a couple of twisted stumps and one spindly remnant of another offered me just that so I left Bob and braved the morning chill.
It was worth it. Lovely mottled clouds hung serenely above the silhouette of the Flinders, dosed first with red then a delightful deep pink and playing soft pastel colours behind me on the far horizon over Lake Fromme. In the still morning air it was a sublime moment. Photo opportunities come all the time but you have to be there to see them.
So often with sunrises and sunsets they appear as silent explosions in the heavens, as though some something has scattered remnants far and wide across the canvas just below the jet stream.
Half an hour later we were on our way again. I chose the Moralina Scenic Drive because (a) it would eventually lead us to the Informaiton Centre, (b) It looked promising and (c) I'd never heard of it before.
Our first encounter was with a pair of donkeys. Now, I don't know about you, but I find them a fascinating animal, ever since one fronted myself and a friend on Santorini looking for a handout. They're such lovable creatures and these were no different so Bob grabbed some bread that we no longer needed and, presto, instant animal friends.

Directions: South Australia, a few hundred kilometres north of Adelaide

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Written Jun 15, 2006

Comments

iandsmith Lives Here!

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Have you been to Australia?