"Take a hike(!) in the Dandenong Ranges" Day Trip - Dandenong Ranges National Park Tip by xuessium

by xuessium

My last morning on my 1st trip to Melbourne was spent here, in the Dandenong Ranges National Park. Me & my mates were eager to hit the outdoors and after pouring through the pages of the Lonely Planet, decided on the trails here, just off One Tree Hill.

The Victoria Parks's website claims: "One Tree Hill is a forest picnic site serviced by a flat sealed car parking area. The area is free of major obstacles. The toilets include a designated accessible facility, but it does not meet current access standards. The approach is no longer rough and has a small step."

There were many trails. Me & my mates did a quick drop by at the ranger station, grabbed a map and we were off into the woods on a Fri morning when everyone else was still stuck behind a desk elsewhere.

It was a cool and bright late Autumn morning. I remembered temperature was about 11C. Lovely walk through the woods. The air was crisp, the light was playful, dancing among the tall gum trees and we caught sight of our very first wild Kookaburra. "Kookaburra sits on a old gum tree..." and me & my mates broke into laughter.

The silence was broken by a stocky hirsute bloke huffing & puffing from behind us in nothing but short shorts. I remembered a shellshocked us enquiring if he was cold and he jogged past us with a smile and bade us G'day! Brrr.....

On the way back, we ran into a colony of white cockatoos debating with each other from the trees. Me & my mate just stood still for quite some time and absorbed this all in!

It was amazing how you can find solace so close to noisy Melbourne!

Address: Dandenong Ranges National Park
Directions: Got off the train @ Upper Ferntree Gully train station and just follow the signs after.
Phone: +61 13 19 63
Website: http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks/dandenong-ranges-national-park

• Written Jun 13, 2006

xuessium Used To Live Here!

Have you been to Melbourne?