Fleur de Lys: "Avoid if you're Hungry" Mandalay Bay Hotel Tip by SabrinaSummerville

Mandalay Bay Hotel, Las Vegas: 21 reviews and 19 photos

Mum in Fleur de Lys
by SabrinaSummerville

I couldn't wait to get a reservation here as the restaurant was recommended by a Chef friend from Ireland.

The decor was impressive - 40ft ceilings, walls of stone and others draped in grey and black, mood music and soft modern lighting. However tables appeared very close together. The tablewear (plates etc) are speciallydesigned for the restaurant and are very pretty.

First impressions were a little offputting, and that theme continued through the evening. We were first shown to a bar area and, when the cocktail waitress took our order for a sparkling water and a soda, she visibly grimaced and suddenly our table was immediately ready!

The waiter was helpful and pleasant and explained the menu to us. It was rather strange. One could order 3,4,or 5 courses. The cost increased accordingly - 75, 85, or 95 dollars per person. He went on to explain that the more courses one ordered, the smaller the portions. My experience has generally been that American portions are huge, so I ordered just 3 courses.

At the end of the meal I was tempted to head for the nearest McDonalds, so small were the portions of the 3 course meal. I felt abysmally sorry for the very snooty girls beside me who had ordered 5 courses each. It was evident that they were pretending to gush over the miniscule morsels on their plates.

My starter was called a giant lump crab which consisted of five flakes of crab, artistically presented in a star shape in a melon sauce. It was tiny, it was tasteless, and it was heartbreakingly disappointing.

My main course was no improvement - my allegedly roast lobster was the size of my thumb, and again tasteless. It was served on a puree of peas and carrots that tasted vaguely stew like, although the lobster froath sauce was good.

It was very expensive - over 210 dollars and we drank just sparkling water! Be wary here, too, in that the majority of dishes carry a supplementary charge...and you don't get larger portions!

Favorite Dish: This restaurant is renowned for its souffles and this is well merited - I had the grand marnier souffle and it saved me form hunger. It was large and tasty, and served with a delicious banana sauce.

Address: Mandalay Place
Price Comparison: most expensive
Directions: In the food court/restaurant area of the Mandalay bay complex.
Phone: 702 632 9400
Price: US$41 and up
Rating: 2
Theme: French
Website: http://www.fleurdelyssf.com/

• Updated Jun 8, 2006

“"I am of Ireland....Come dance with me in Ireland", W.B. Yeats”

Have you been to Las Vegas?