"Not luxurious but clean!" Hotel del Mare Tip by marie&ariel

Hotel del Mare, Sorrento: 709 reviews and 5 photos

I don't agree with the other comments regarding Hotel del Mare or the area were it's located. The hotel is located in Marina Grande which has some real good restaurants. We followed our 2006 Rick Steves guide and tried one of the recommended restaurants. They gave us free limoncello for having the book with us. =) We walked day and night through the area in order to go to the main town. Never felt uneasy about it. The walk is not as easy, you have steps and steep streets to climb and crazy Italian drivers. Personally I welcomed the walk/climb because it kept me from gaining the waight all the wonderful food in Italy could pack on. We also liked having the two little shops by the Marina, bought some water on our way out and snacks. We just appreciated the view and enjoyed watching people, it's such a lovely town, every corner was interesting and picturesque.

Unique Qualities: Now the hotel: The outside of the hotel looks really nice, they recently remodeled the hotel so it's nice to sit in the outside patio. Our room was in the basemant floor, not the best choice but we can't complain for 100 Euros a night right? The bed was hard and the comforter was very tired looking but the room itself was decent. The bathroom is really really small, specially the shower. My husband is not big at all but had a hard time moving around. For us girls, shaving in the shower took skills. Our towels were changed every day and we were there for 3 nights. The only thing I did not like looking at in the room was in the corner, by the window, you could see mold. I know! Not very nice but I tried not to obsess with it. On a positive note, the breakfast was GREAT. Really good choices, eggs, breads, cheese, prosciutto, cereal, yogurt, fruit, fresh juice, and really rally good coffee. I loved their capuccino! We even ordered some drinks from the bar one night and got some pretzels and nuts with it. I really really can't say it was a bad experience. The service was really good and had not problems at all. One last thing...their computer sucks! So couldn't get into my email or my back account, was only able to get updates on my Phoenix Suns game.

Address: Via del Mare, 30, , Sorrento, Campania 80067
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Marina Grande
Phone: +39 081 878 3310
Price: US$80-120
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.hoteldelmare.com/

• Written Jun 6, 2006

Comments

marie&ariel

“See the world”

Have you been to Sorrento?