"Paying the Resturant Bill" London Local Custom Tip by Cham
London Local Customs: 717 reviews and 883 photos
There are three ways this can be done...
all of them starting with, the argument over the bill
1) someone pays the bill in full, if someone pays the bill for you, buy them a few drinks at the next place you go, if you pay the bill, let them either buy the drinks are let you pay next time.
2) split the bill equally, no matter what everyone has ordered, this is usually done amongst close friends and when people have had a similar amount of food in the place.
3) split the bill but into what each person has had. usually works better when in a smaller group or in a place where people don't know each other too well.
and finally remember to tip... it's usually 10% here, some restuarants will add this onto the bill as a service charge... even though this is on the bill it is not compulsory to pay it.
INTERESTING FACT... the term "Tip" comes from the a box that used to be in restuarants in the victorian times. people would place money in the box "To Insure Prompt Service" this had T.I.P.S. on it.
More Local Customs in London (12)
More Reviews (97)
- See All Best (and chepest) shisha in london
- See All Brazil in London!
- See All So cool it's frozen
- See All Oyster Cards
- Contemporary Hotel in London
Cham's Related Pages
Have you been to London?Share Your Travels