Elvie's Turo-Turo: "Philippines, Relocated to NYC" Top 5 Page for this destination Elvie's Turo-Turo - CLOSED Tip by shutterlust

I've brought many friends here to try a new cuisine: Phillipino! The barbeque here is amazing, as is the halo-halo drink (see my food recommendations below). The restaurant is very small, but clean. Crowded around lunch. You'll notice many people coming to just pick up a couple sticks of barbeque and a halo-halo drink (one of them might just be me!). It's a good way to experience another culture while trying to adapt to NY culture. And it's not just NY locals who eat here, but actual Filipinos as well, which is always a good sign.

Favorite Dish: The Halo-Halo dessert is amazing (it's a drink/dessert, like a shake, with fruit, dulce de leche ice cream, and crushed iced. Mix the whole thing and trust me on this, just eat what's in there. Just TRUST me.)

Also try the Phillipine barbeque, which is amazing. It's like Korean barbeque, but not as strongly spiced. Get the pork or beef barbeque with some rice. The sinagang soup is also very good (it's a sour soup with vegetables, which doesn't sound that appetizing, but it is quite nice!). I've also heard the mongo (lentil stew) and chicken adobo (chicken with adobo spices) is also to be recommended.

Address: 214 1st Avenue
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: 1st Avenue, between 12th and 13th Street, take the L to 1st Avenue.
Phone: 212-473-7785
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 4
Theme: Pan-Asian and Pacific Rim

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Written Jun 5, 2006

shutterlust Used To Live Here!

“I don't say we all ought to misbehave...but we ought to look as if we could!”

Have you been to New York City?