"St. Joseph's Church" Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Off The Beaten Path Tip by shutterlust
New York City Off The Beaten Path: 990 reviews and 1,302 photos
St. Joseph's Church is located on 371 6th Avenue and Washington Place.
For ardent Roman Catholics who wish to continue their religious practices while on vacation, I would recommend St. Joseph's Church, for one. It's a lovely church, built in a strong Greek Revival style with many Gregorian features. It's said that the Church looks pagan, and Roman/Greek with the pillars and columns. The Church supposedly looks pagan to protect the inquisition of Catholics hiding within its walls. I don't know if its true or not, but the Church is lovely, airy, open, spacious, bright and pretty. But what's special about this location is the university choir that sings at the 6pm masses on Sundays.
This is a special, biased plug for the St. Joseph's choir, made up of professional and amateur vocalists, many of them from the New York University's vocal studies group. They are amazing, the music is fun and catchy and I know several people who go just to hear them sing. So if you want to attend a mass that's an event in itself, check out the St. Joseph's choir, 6pm on Sundays!
More Off The Beaten Path in New York City (6)
More Reviews (101)
- See All New York Natives on Facebook
- See All NYMAG ASSIGN: The Jefferson
- See All NYMAG ASSIGN: Peculier Pub
- See All NYMAG ASSIGN: The Shop Around the Corner
- See All Dylan's Candy Bar
- See All International Center of Photography
- See All Stay to the Right
- See All New York Marriot East Side
- See All Taxi Drivers going the Long Way 'Round
- See All Airport Alternative Transport
- No one said NY was cheap...
Been to New York City?Share your travels with the world!
shutterlust's Related Pages
Have you been to New York City?Share Your Travels