"Old Branson Jail" Top 5 Page for this destination Colorado Things to Do Tip by Astrobuck

Colorado Things to Do: 315 reviews and 462 photos

Branson Jail
by Astrobuck

While on one of my many trips around the state, I wound up in a SMALL town in southern Colorado called Branson. Now, I'm not for sure about the population here, but there is absolutely nothing here, except the fact that there are a few historic buildings. This one caught my attention right off the bat.

I stopped to take a break and feed my son some lunch at this "park" (It wasn't much of a park...just this old historic jailhouse and two covered picnic tables). As I approached the gate, I noticed the small newspaper-type clipping hanging off the gate (It was very old and in bad shape...you can see it in the picture). After reading the old clipping, the history of the jail was revealed.

This was a jail built in the 1920's to house criminals. Although it was only used twice in it's history, it attracted the locals and people passing through so much, the town decided to make it a historical landmark. You are able to enter the gate and visit inside. Very primitive indeed.

Address: Branson, Colorado
Directions: **WARNING: Be sure you fill up your gas tank in Trinidad before departing. The next gas station is over 100 miles**

Take US-160 East from Trinidad until you reach CO-389; proceed South. You will reach Branson approximately 10 to 15 miles.

Website: http://sangres.com/places/branson.htm

• Written May 31, 2006

Astrobuck Visits Here Frequently!

“Travel is not so much restricted to the ground you walk on, but to the stars above....”

Have you been to Colorado?