"Day 3- Yili and on the way to Bayanbulak prairie" Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Province Things to Do Tip by yirutang

Wanasi Grass Land

Wanasi Grass Land
      18 turns on BayinBuLuke
      The valley of Tianshan
      Swan lake
    by yirutang
  • Day 3- Yili and on the way to Bayanbulak prairie - Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Province

We set out from Yining which is the main city for the Yili area in the morning heading to Bayanbulak prairie.

The first thing I should say is that I am quite regret we didn't have the chance of exploer the area more. I found some picutres from some self-toured traveller of the place and they look amazing. Bayanbulak is the Chinese second lagest prairie in china. It gets watered by the snows on Tianshan Mountain with Yili on one side of it and Kushi town on the other side of it. The Kushi side is almost not developed and get across the grass land to the other side is difficult. The guys who took the pictures went from Kushi Town all the way backwards to Yili which is the opposite of our route. It seems they got the chance of getting really deep into the native part of TianShan moutain. As a tourist on tight schedule, I couldn't afford such a trip.

Back to our own trip. The driving to the praire is not boring at all. We chatted with the guide to learn about the local customs of different minority groups. Such as the famous way of Kazakh dating : Boy chase Girl on horseback and in turn, Girl beat boy on the way back! We also went through the langscape change from moutain forest to grassland. On the grassland, there were sheeps I've never seen before with black tail. If you mei to them, they will run towards you -- really friendly to human. I will post my pictures in my next post.

On Bayanbulak prairie lives mainly mongolian people and some Kazakh people (second biggest minority nation in Xinjiang). Mongolian people believes in Tabet Buddism and Hasake people is Muselim. There were numerous conflicts in the old days between the two. As a result Kazakh people retreaved futher into the moutains.

• Updated May 31, 2006

Comments

Have you been to Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Province?