"Heiligenstadt." Beethoven Gedenkstätte - Memorial Tip by margaretvn

by margaretvn
      Beethoven statue in the park
  • Heiligenstadt. - Vienna

This is where there are a couple of houses where the composer Beethoven lived for some time. Probably the most important time, and certainly a very tragic and deeply unhappy time in his life was in 1802 when he was there and wrote "The Heiligenstadt Testament". Beethoven was then staying Probusgasse number 6, which is now known as the Heiligenstadt testament House. He was in Heiligenstadt in an attempt to cure his increasing deafness (which he had told no-one about), he wrote a long and despairing letter to his brothers giving a very moving account of his problem. Who could not be moved by the words "O ye men who think or say that I am malevolent, stubborn or misanthropic, how greatly do ye wrong me, you do not know the secret causes of my seeming, from childhood my feelings of good will, I was even ever eager to accomplish great deeds, but reflect now that for six years I have been a hopeless case, aggravated by senseless physician's Oh how harshly was I repulsed by the doubly sad experience of my bad hearing, and yet it was impossible for me to say to men speak louder, shout, for I am deaf." The letter is to for his brothers Carl and Johann. Further along the Probusgasse is house number 26 where Beethoven stayed twice - during the summer of 1817 and in 1824.
The entrance to the museumis low so mind your head going in if you are tall. Koos IS tall and began his first visit with a bump on his head. On our first visit the curator was a little old lady who seemed to know everything about Beethoven, unfortunately she was not there on our last visit, but we remember just how friendly and helpful she was.
Not far from the Heiligenstadt House on Beethoven Ruhe is a beautiful statue of the man himself built in 1863. Behind the statue is a lovely park to wander through.
My copied drawing on the introduction to this is at Heiligenstadt.

Address: Heiligenstadt, 1190 Wien
Directions: Near Armbrustergasse
othercontact: Open Tuesday ? Sunday 9.00 ? 12.
Phone: +43 1 3705408

• Updated Jan 22, 2006

“I have spread my dreams under your feet....tread softly - you tread on my dreams”

Have you been to Vienna?