Tandoor Indian Restaurant: "Must Go Back!" Tandoor Indian Restaurant Tip by litekimchi

Tandoor Indian Restaurant, Shanghai: 6 reviews and 2 photos

This is one of the best restaurants I've been on, EVER. I don't consider myself a big fan of Indian food, but this one made me a convert.

I love this restaurant! The service is impeccable. The wait staff are Indians who more than know what they're offering. They know the food and would give intelligent recommendations. If you wish for your food to be less spicy, they will do that for you--all you need to do is tell your waiter and he will take care of it for you. I have never seen such a service-oriented restaurant. They took care of everything. My cola glass was almost empty--and they didn't even wait for me to call them. The waiter approached me and offered me another glass (not for free, of course; but I appreciate the gesture!).

What I really love is that all the waiters speak impeccable English. That is hard to find in Shanghai.

The food is divine! We had kebabs and vegetable samosa. We had three kinds of bread: peshawar naan, tandoori roti and plain naan--all of which I love.

I would recommend this to anybody. Well, anybody with the budget. All of these things, of course, will come at a price. Dinner for 4 with drinks (drinks are quite expensive in Shanghai) cost us RMB746 or about USD100. It isn't for the traveller with a strict budget. I was on business, and the company picked up the tab.

Sorry, I couldn't take pictures. It didn't feel appropriate for me to do so at that time. Too bad, the food looked as divine as it tasted!

Favorite Dish: Ask the waiter, he knows everything! Just tell him what you like and what you don't, and he will give you recommendations. And try the tandoori roti with the vegetable samosa, or just plain curry sauce!

Address: 59 Mao Ming Road (S)
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: across the park from the Jin Jiang Hotel
Phone: 6472 5494 or 6258 2582
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 5
Theme: Indian

• Updated May 30, 2006

More Restaurants in Shanghai (1)

“Anyone who says that sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.”

Have you been to Shanghai?