"Camel Trekking in Douz 2" Top 5 Page for this destination Douz Favorite Tip by barryg23

Douz Favorites: 11 reviews and 26 photos

Ibrahim, ruth, Ali & Me

Ibrahim, ruth, Ali & Me
      Ruth, Karim & our camels
      Ruth trekking
      Footprints in the desert
      Sahara Shadows
    by barryg23

Fondest memory: We had little time to prepare for the experience, as, no sooner had I handed over the money we were up on the camels. I expected mounting to be difficult but it was very easy. There is a sudden jerk forward but as long as you hold on tight it's ok. And so we were off. It all happened so quickly I almost didn't take it in. The guide who accompanied us was different from the man who taken our money. He was quieter though we got to speak to him later and he was a really nice guy. We trekked past the place we had watched the sunset the previous night and continued a good distance, perhaps a kilometre into the dune.

After wandering through lots of sand we approached a small oasis, where we disembarked to take some pictures of oursleves and of the camels. Karim started to speak more to us. he had a few English phrases but mostly we spoke in French. He asked our names and told us about his job (basically taking tourists like me and Ruth into the desert on either hourlong or overnight trips). He told us the camel's names - Ruth's was Ibrahim and mine Ali and we chatted about the weather and things like that.

We returned back to the edge of the Dune shortly after along a slightly different route. So that concluded our camel trek. An interesting but brief experience. It's much easier than I expected though my leg muscles on my thighs did ache a bit afterwards. But I'd defintely do a trek again, perhaps ovenight or for a couple of days next time. I had no loose change so I gave Karim 5 D, thus bringing the total cost to 20D. Somehow I think if I gave it to the first guide we meet, Karim's cut would be a lot less. We waved good bye to the guides and to Ibrahim and Ali who looked very happy munching on palm branches!

• Written May 24, 2006

Comments

barryg23

“Back from my year in Latin America. Quite a few VT pages to write!”

Have you been to Douz?