Sabatino's: "Northern Italian Cusine" Top 5 Page for this destination Sabatino's Tip by deecat

Sabatino's, Chicago: 1 reviews and 1 photos

"Live" Entertainment at Sabatino's, Chicago
by deecat

On Tuesday, May 23, 2006, Allan and I were in Chicago "discovering" new neighborhoods. We ask around to find out the best place to eat in the Mayfair/Old Irving Park area; one choice always was the first to be selected: Sabatino's. This is an "old-time" restaurant with pampering service, live entertainment (strolling violin and guitar singers), and incredible food.

Selections on the menu are varied and numerous. Allan says that we'll have to go back again and again so he is able to try all the good selections. The menu is divided into Appetizers, Soups, Salads, Veal, Chicken, Beef, Pasta, Seafood, Sides, and Desserts. The customers were also varied...families, older couples, businessmen, young couples, and older gentlemen. I noticed that most of the other people at the tables surrounding us had been here many times before and were on speaking terms with all the waiters, musicians, and the owner.

It's also the kind of restaurant that never hurries you; they give you ample time to decide, to relish each item you have selected; yet, they are ever ready to answer all your questions and to give suggestions. There's a bar area with small tables where you may eat; the room we ate in was also small and intimate, and beyond that there was another room. I think that there is a banquet room upstairs.
The owner dropped by our table and chatted. He is originally from Pisa, Italy.
Besides the desserts that we had, we received a "complimentary dish of fresh fruit".

Favorite Dish: Both Allan and I selected from the Seafood Portion of the Menu. Allan had the seafood combination of Lobster, Shrimp, Mussels, Calamari, and Scallops over a thin pasta with a light tomato sauce. It was just filled with the seafood (unlike some restaurants), and Allan commented that it was enough for two people.

I ordered, on the suggestion of the waiter, a lobster dish that was chunks of lobster in a diablo sauce (spicey and a little hot) over thin pasta.

All the meals come with BOTH soup and salad, hot bread, and another kind of bread covered with cheese. We mixed wonderful olive oil and cheese for dipping the bread.

Allan had a lemon-drop spinach soup and I had a chicken soup with vegetables. The house salads were delicious, especially the house dressing with its subtle, wonderful texture.

We left room for desserts and coffee. I had cappucinno. Allan sometimes "gets carried away when the food is good" and ordered THREE desserts: believe it or not, we ate all of them!

The traveling musicians were just a delight. They took requests and were able to play and/or sing them all.

What an enchanting way to spend an ordinary Tuesday night.

Address: 4441 W. Irving Park Road, Chicago, IL
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Phone: (773) 283-8331
Price: US$31-40
Rating: 5
Theme: Italian

• Updated May 24, 2006

deecat Lives Here!

Have you been to Chicago?