"A nice quiet all-inclusive diver's resort" Top 5 Page for this destination Spanish Bay Reef Resort Tip by catalysta

Diving the wall at Spanish Reef Resort

Diving the wall at Spanish Reef Resort
    by catalysta
      Scorpionfish - can you find him?
      Tiger Grouper
      Bar Jack
    by catalysta
      Coral giving us the finger!
    by catalysta

Although I did not stay there myself, I did scope out the facilities and take a little shore dive there. This is a nice quiet friendly resort, with a lot of repeat customers, most of whom love to dive and are certified to dive without dive master supervision. Most were couples as far as I could see, and most middle aged.

Drying rack outside the rooms held wet suits drying everywhere, and there were several snorkelers in their protected entry area as well. Supposedly there was an octopus living in that area, but I didn't spot it, darn it all. Also some lobsters living under the stairs.

Unique Qualities: The shore diving is great, with an easy entry and then a short excursion along a little underwater groove that leads you to the wall. The Spanish Reef wall is covered with healthy corals & sponges, making it a prime environment for all sorts of fish etc.

As well as the usual Blue Chromis, Grunts, Sgt. Majors, Squirrelfish, etcetera, I also spotted a couple of big groupers, a few squid, and the Scorpionfish I photographed for my "Danger" tip.

Address: P.O. Box 903GT, West Bay
Phone: 1.800.48.2DIVE
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.caymanresortsonline.com/spanishbay/

• Written May 23, 2006

Comments

catalysta

“Toto, we're not in Alaska anymore!”

Have you been to Grand Cayman?