"A long queue for Louis Vuitton? Pour quoi?" Champs-Elysées Tip by Confucius

Champs-Elysées, Paris: 17 reviews and 14 photos

Paris shoppers standing in line for Louis Vuitton
by Confucius

So I'm strolling down the Champs Elysee when all of the sudden I see a long queue of people waiting in line to get inside the Louis Vuitton shop. Is there a famous celebrity inside? Are they giving away free key rings? A grand opening with complimentary champagne? No, these folks are simply awaiting their turn to enter and purchase something. Can you believe that? A Malaysian couple at the end of the line tell me that it's a security measure to limit the number of shoppers that can go inside. I believe it's just a tourist trap to make people think that there is a legitimate reason to stand in line. I mean it's not a jewelry store, right? I also walked past Cartier and there was no line to get in there.

Unique Suggestions: I have heard that some Chinese shoppers actually pay people to stand in line and purchase purses here. (The China embassy is less than 3 blocks away from Louis Vuitton.) So there is not only a limit to the number of shoppers allowed inside, but also a restriction on quantity of purchases? This is mind boggling to me and I show the Malaysian couple my fake Louis Vuitton wallet that I bought in Guangzhou for 10 yuan, which is about 1 Euro. Our chat ended there, but I didn't want anybody thinking that I was the end of the line anyway.

Fun Alternatives: Why stand in line on the Champs Elysee to spend 100 Euros for a wallet that costs 10 yuan on Guangzhou's Chang Shou Street? There's no queue in Shenzhen to buy fake Louis Vuitton handbags and you can purchase as many as you like there!

• Written May 20, 2006

“Yes, I am indeed the same Confucius from Lonely Planet Thorn Tree Northeast Asia branch!”

Have you been to Paris?