Boulangerie Beauvallet Julien: "At least the outstanding bakery is still there!" Boulangeries - Pâtisseries Tip by Confucius

Boulangeries - Pâtisseries, Paris: 6 reviews and 4 photos

Another satisfied customer with a long baguette
by Confucius

While mourning the loss of my favorite Chinese restaurant in Paris, "Restaurant "A", I looked across the street and recognized the bakery that I visited 14 years ago. Mon Dieu! The original bakery with the same shopkeeper was still there, just as it appeared during my first visit in 1992!
This bakery has an outstanding reputation in Paris. It is famous for its baguettes, which everybody seems to be buying between the afternoon hours of 5 and 6. The friendly humble owner, Mr. Ousbih, does not speak English well but I was able to communicate with him using my high school French. He seems to know all of the local customers who routinely buy baguettes on their way home for dinner, as this bakery has remain unchanged for such a long time. A familiar late afternoon sight in Paris is people walking down the street with their long baguette sticking out of a bag. (See accompanying photo)

Favorite Dish: I'm not a big fan of baguettes, so I just bought a couple croissants, a pear tart, chocolate bread (pain au chocolat), and a chocolate chip cookie. The pear tart was really delicious, and is a popular pastry in Paris as I have seen it before at supermarkets and delis.

This bakery also has cold drinks and ice cream bars, for those of you walking along the Seine near Notre Dame during the summer months.

Address: 6, rue de Poissy, 75005 PARIS
Directions: Walk southeast from Notre Dame
othercontact: Closed Wednesday
Phone: 01 43 26 94 24
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 5
Theme: Bakery

• Updated May 22, 2006

Comments

Confucius

“Yes, I am indeed the same Confucius from Lonely Planet Thorn Tree Northeast Asia branch!”

Have you been to Paris?