"Driving in Lebanon" Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Warnings Or Dangers Tip by miso80
Beirut Warnings and Dangers: 21 reviews and 11 photos
OK..for those who are faint of heart DON'T Drive! Unless you've driven Cairo before :o)
For those who wish to live the Lebanese experience to the fullest...a few rules:
1) There are no rules lol..ok, so no, no it isn't THAT bad..but you have to understand that as a Lebanese ...each person has his/her OWN set of rules...so watch out :o)
2) Green does NOT necessarily mean go...Red does NOT necessarily means stop. Those traffic lights are mere suggestions. Before you go, check that your road is actually clear, and that you don't have a policeman standing in front of you calling out to the traffic on the other lane to go through.
3) Yes, you will see some people going two-way on a one-way street...and no, it does NOT mean that you win if you're going in the correct direction. If you're stuck in such a situation, please assess your opponent - Do they look subborn? aggressive? is it a taxi? If the answer is yes to any of the following...please, reverse your car and let them pass lol
4) Yes, people do talk on their mobiles while driving..its called multi-tasking. Of course, they can also be adjusting their mirror, make-up and radio..but we are a very advanced people so don't worry...just make sure you have insurance :o)
5) Do NOT under any circumstance try to BE Lebanese..it requires serious training, and you should NOT try this at home!
But seriously, new announcements about the application of driving rules and regulations have been announced recently (May 2006), and so, let's hope we live to see the day when driving will be safer in Lebanon.
More Warnings and Dangers in Beirut (2)
More Reviews (55)
- See All Lebanese Food: Man'ouche
- See All The Hottest Club this Season (Fall 2006)
- See All Sit Down and Take It All In...
- See All For Budget Travellers
- See All A Nice Lunch at the 'Market'
miso80's Related Pages
Have you been to Beirut?Share Your Travels