"Great Sand Dunes" Colorado Things to Do Tip by j7286

Colorado Things to Do: 315 reviews and 462 photos

Great Sand Dunes National Park is an offbeat spot in the state of Colorado. Not really in the mountains, it's on a flat plateau, but with views of the beautiful Sangre de Cristo mountains nearby. Miles from anywhere (the nearest town is Alamosa), one is thankful to see the visitor center finally looming into view. The admission price is $3.00, and for this low fee you and your family will have fun running, hiking, and yes, slipping and sliding over mountains of sand. When I say mountains of sand, I'm not exagerating. I needed several rest stops as I tried to ascend one dune, only to find there were more and yet more, higher up. Bring sunscreen, bring water, and bring comfortable tennis shoes.

All ages were out enjoying themselves, but I think children especially will love playing in this gigantic sandbox. There are also campgrounds nearby, with hikes that include more traditional scenery, such as trees and rocks. I've heard that seeing these dunes in the moonlight is breathtaking and eerie, but we didn't spend the night.

Showers are available in the parking area, to rinse the sand out afterwards. There is only one restaurant, right outside of the park -- the food is bland, and overpriced, but still appreciated. Also contains a gift shop/convenience store, where essential road trip/camping supplies can be bought.

Directions: West of Alamosa, in southern Colorado.

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

Comments

j7286 Lives Here!

j7286

“I'm Glad To Be Here”

Have you been to Colorado?