Charlie Brown's Bar & Grill: "Friendly, Delicious, Affordable" Denver Restaurant Tip by j7286

Denver Restaurants: 220 reviews and 166 photos

I found this place by accident, on a day I spent exploring old Jack Kerouac haunts in Denver. Turns out Jack, Neal Cassady, and Allen Ginsberg all used to live at the Colburn Hotel for awhile, back in the day. I'm sure they spent time at this bar, too. Nowadays the hotel is low-income subsidized apartments -- I had a nice chat with the desk clerk, who said one of the waitresses (now long gone) used to regale people with stories of the Beats that lived there. The Bar is now also a restaurant -- wonderful friendly atmosphere, subdued lighting, great prices, great food; the bar is in the middle, always filled with chatty folks; piano bar at night; glassed-in patio seating also available. I've often brought my teenage daughter and her friends there for lunch or brunch, it's a nice crowd. My adult son brings all his friends there at least once a month for a Sunday 'mornin--after' breakfast.

Favorite Dish: I usually order the Mexican food, I've never been disappointed.

Address: 980 Grant Street, Denver
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: 5 blocks south of Colfax Avenue; follow Grant Street from the Capitol Building, heading south. Located on the left (east) side of Grant Street, on the first floor of the old Colburn Hotel.
Phone: 303-860-1655
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 5
Theme: Local

• Written May 18, 2006

Comments

j7286 Lives Here!

j7286