Maria Bolea: "The real Maria--private rooms" Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Hotel Tip by midnight_mike

Brasov Hotels: 72 reviews and 85 photos

Many Romanians have taken capitalism to heart, earning a living in the most unconventional ways. Maria Bolea and her husband Grig are no different. My first time in Brasov I was approached by Maria outside the train station. I brushed her aside as I thought she was trying to con me out of my passport and wallet. But she wouldn't stop talking. Finally, I looked at her notebook which had notes from fellow travelers praising her services. She even showed me the guidebooks in which her name is mentioned. Somehow, Maria learned to speak Japanese and is mentioned in a Japanese travel book. She speaks many languages and if you ignore her, as I originally did, you will hear all of them.

I finally gave in and rented a room from her. I paid 10 Euro each night for a private room above a house in the residential section of Brasov. The next time I came to Brasov I rented a room from her in an apartment building for the same price. There were other tourists staying in the apartment, but we each had our own room.

If you are on a tight budget, Maria is a good option. She has many connections in Brasov and can arrange for a driver to take you to Bran and Rasnov castles. When I stayed in one of her rooms, she had a driver take myself and five other tourists to these sights in a van.

Maria says there is a "fake Maria" taking advantage of her good reputation, but I never saw anyone beside her and her husband offering such services at the train station.

Price Comparison: least expensive
Directions: If you are a tourist arriving in Brasov by train, Maria will find you. She waits for all the international trains to arrive.
Phone: 094816970
Price: less than US$20
Theme: Other

• Updated May 17, 2006

Comments

midnight_mike Used To Live Here!

midnight_mike