"Belur Math" Top 5 Page for this destination Belur Math Tip by goutammitra
Belur Math, Kolkata (Calcutta): 5 reviews and 13 photos
North of the city, on the west bank of the Hooghly River, is the headquarters of the Ramkrishna Mission, Belur Math. Ramakrishna, an Indian philosopher, preached the unity of all religions. He died in 1886, and his follower Swami Vivekananda founded the Ramakrishna Mission in 1897. There are now branches all over India. Belur Math, the movement's international headquarters, was founded in 1899. It is supposed to represent a church, a mosque and a temple, depending on how you look at Belur Math is open daily from 6.30 to 11 am and from 3.30 to 7 pm, and admission is free.
The Mission's Institute of Culture, which has a library, reading rooms and lecture halls, is in the south of the city near Dhakuria railway station.
We visited Belur Math today on 14th May, 2006. But took the Photographs from the Ganges as it looks more beautiful.
Address: On Grand Trunk Road, Belur
Directions: Take a cab or Bus towards Belur math from Howrah Station or from Calcutta.. It's a very well known place. Or one can go to Dakshineshwar Kali Temple and take a Boat ride. It is just on the other side of the Ganges.
Phone: 009133 2654 1144
More Things to Do in Kolkata (Calcutta) (62)
More Reviews (152)
- See All Try Their Roasted Pork! It's...
- See All Serene Atmosphere!
- See All Horse Racing at Royal Calcutta Turf Club...
- See All Wild Life at Tolly Club.
- Unprecedented Bund or Flash Strike in...
- See All Find all your Musics of the world
- See All Cruise on River Ganges & New Look of...
- See All Airport Volvo & Green Jnnurm Buses of...
- See All A Marwari Marriage in Kolkata- Part II
- TOURIST TRAP AT KOLKATA.
- NIGHTLIFE IN KOLKATA.
Been to Kolkata (Calcutta)?Share your travels with the world!
goutammitra's Related Pages
Have you been to Kolkata (Calcutta)?Share Your Travels