"Building on the Slopes" Top 5 Page for this destination Bali Local Custom Tip by balisunshine
Bali Local Customs: 251 reviews and 398 photos
For the Balinese,
slopes on the ridges by the rivers
are for garbage disposals,
keeping pigs and growing coconuts.
They are not for building houses.
To them, this is a dangerous area,
with fear of earthquakes
and in a sacro-spiritual sense.
They believe that by being vulnerable
to open spaces that it will
expose them to the entry of evil.
The Balinese home faces inward,
with courtyards that are open to the sky,
but closed to the neighboring environment.
To them, the river gorges have been haunted by ghosts.
When foreigners saw these slopes by the river
and began having an interest in building here,
they said Wow!
More Local Customs in Bali (41)
More Reviews (230)
- See All For all the lonely boyz!
- See All It?s getting fishy in here!
- See All De Chy Holistic Healing Center
- See All Those tricky money exchangers!!
- See All Bali Police Announce Crime Hot Lines
- See All Motorbikes in Bali
balisunshine's Related Pages
Have you been to Bali?Share Your Travels