The Pipeline Club (Valdez): "Dine where Capt. Hazelwood Got Drunk" Alaska Restaurant Tip by AKtravelers

Alaska Restaurants: 74 reviews and 51 photos

Only Capt. Hazelwood is missing from this photo
by AKtravelers

One of the disappointments about Alaska is that there were very few special restaurants. However, there is one must visit restaurant bar if your in Valdez: the Pipeline Club. While you can eat an excellent dinner there (I had salmon) the real reason to go is to have a drink in the very same bar where Exxon Valdez Capt. Joseph Hazelwood famously got hammered before the world's most damaging oil spill.
Admittedly, we weren't sure how to approach this issue with the locals, as the oil spill was only about seven years old -- i.e. recent history -- when we were in town. In fact, Capt. Hazelwood, who left the tanker's bridge before the crash to allegedly sleep off his drunk, didn't even get convicted of negligence until 1991. So we sheepishly asked where Capt. Hazelwood drank at the information center and the woman told us about the Pipeline Club, though she asked us not to make a big deal about it as the locals were still sensitive.
When we got there, we had an hour wait for dinner so we went into the bar and had a couple of beers while watching the locals play satellite trivia. After watching the guy next to me make a few mistakes, I started helping him and his score gradually started moving to the top of the world-wide standings. Soon we started chatting about other things and I asked him to take a picture of me, Andrea and Mr. Moonie at the bar. He really liked Mr. Moonie.
Then he decided to let us on to a little "local secret", pointing out exactly where at the bar Capt. Hazelwood sat on the fateful night of 23 March 1989-- the corner opposite of where we were. We thanked him for sharing that knowledge and soon got called for dinner.

Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Ask at the visitor's center
Price: US$31-40
Rating: 4
Theme: American

• Updated May 7, 2006

Comments

AKtravelers

“My plan:1. See the world 2. Have a beer”

Have you been to Alaska?