"Do you speak Kashubian?" Krokowa Local Custom Tip by evaanna

Krokowa Local Customs: 2 reviews and 2 photos

Kashubian writing on the wall
by evaanna

Many of the local people in the area of Krokowa are the descendants of the Kashubians, the autochthonous population of Pomerania. As I have already shown on my Hel and Jastarnia pages, streets are given dual names in those places, Polish and Kashubian. But the inhabitants of Krokowa have gone one step further. The words under the colourful picture that is located on a house in the centre of the village are in Kashubian only. I can more or less guess what the first word means as 'gbur' means a farmer or peasant in Kashubian so the word must be an adjective derived from it. But 'mol'? No idea. They seem to assume everybody knows Kashubian. This word has been an obsession with me ever since I saw it. Please help if you can.
Update: I know now - 'mol' means food, so there must be a restaurant there serving peasant food during the season. Thanks Izabella (isabellandruszk).
To see more samples of Kashubian art see my Hel and Jastarnia pages.

• Updated Jan 21, 2008

• piosku67's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2012 at 4:57 AM

Great photo. I think that in the situation many small nations and even groups of people strive to protect their language in the world, I admire the Kashubians that they use and , what’s more, promote their language. By the way an old dialect of Gdansk is dying called Danziger Mischung.

evaanna

“The sky is blue everywhere.”

Have you been to Krokowa?