"Fountain of the Seahorses - Bernini Villa Borghese" Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Off The Beaten Path Tip by icunme
Rome Off The Beaten Path: 780 reviews and 1,323 photos
A lone duck is poised to join Bernini's seahorses - we like to think he's very discriminating and chosen well - whether by fortune or folly, he could do no better.
Winged seahorses appear to have risen from the shelter of the lower basin - as though coming through the water from the earth below. From a distance their heads appear to support the basin but a closer look discloses that they bear no weight. Their tails wind about the fountain base. Poised ready for flight - the enchanter's chisel has checked the horses in mid-ascent - Bernini's genius masters his fancy.
Sprays of water spout upward between their forefeet while the lower basin lies in the turf and the water fills it to the brim. The slightest breeze ruffles the surface, reflecting the sunshine like a broken mirror. Then from the centre of this pool, Bernini creates the rising fountain. Carved in travertine, the natural mellow tone seems to have been enriched rather than worn by the centuries of mild Italian weather.
More Off The Beaten Path in Rome (56)
More Reviews (185)
- See All Sushi in Rome
- See All CARAVAGGIO Exhibit - Palazzo Venezia
- See All 3-star in 5-star location
- See All Biggest MALL in Rome - Parco Leonardo
- See All Low Cost Airport Transfer - USO Rome...
- See All Christmas Eve 7 Fish Traditional Dinner
- See All Should I rent a scooter to see Rome?
- See All Tram
- See All Bike and Hike along the Via Appia Antica
- See All JONATHAN'S ANGELS - not an angel seen...
- Villa Borghese overpriced and surley...
Been to Rome?Share your travels with the world!
icunme's Related Pages
Have you been to Rome?Share Your Travels