"Uzupis (I)" Uzupis District Tip by King_Golo
Uzupis District, Vilnius: 25 reviews and 52 photos
If you want to get out of the noisy touristy Old Town and enjoy some laid-back Vilnius then go to Uzupis. By now, most visitors to Vilnius have heard about this quarter and its curiosities: Uzupis declared itself a republic in 1997! It is now governed by artists and like-minded people. There's a "border" sign and a constitution plaque, and everything seems to be quite serious at first sight. Looking closer, however, you'll see that there's also a lot of fun included...
Here are some of the statements of Uzupis' constitution:
01. Everybody has the right to live by the River Vilnele and the River Vilnele has the right to flow by everyone.
03. Everyone has the right to die, but this is not an obligation.
10. Everyone has the right to love and take care of the cat.
14. Sometimes everyone has the right to be unaware of their duties.
24. Everyone has the right to understand nothing.
41. Do not surrender.
The constitution is found on a wall in central Uzupis just around the corner of the statue of the angel. Articles are written in Lithuanian, English and French.
Address: Uzupio street
Directions: Uzupis is located east of the Old Town within 15 minutes by foot
More Reviews (1)
King_Golo's Related Pages
Have you been to Vilnius?Share Your Travels