"Pub Quizz Anyone?" Other Pubs & Bars Tip by melissa_bel

Other Pubs & Bars, Brussels: 99 reviews and 95 photos

A smile at the Old Oak
by melissa_bel

Sharing an appartment with an Englishwoman, I was of course put into contact with the strange world of "The Expats" a world within a city that doesn't really cross the world of ordinary Brussels residents. They have their own gathering places, their own parties, etc. And the Brits are probably the best at it. But as well as importing their pubs and happy hours, they imported "Pub Quizz Night"! Geeks of Europe, rejoice! For 2,50 Euros, you can take part to a competition of smarts and enjoy a glass of beer or blanche at 1 Euro until 10 PM! The game mistress (whom I always picture with a whip in her hands) is very strict on the 5 persons rule. While my flatmate team was full, I had to look for a team that was short of a teammate. I found Octopussy, composed of 40-50'something English gentlemen all working in the same company (and who would blush at sexually explicit question in true Victorian-fashion, maybe that's why theu chose the Bond-themed name?), Jane, who works for the Consillium and Lawrence, a Korean engineer who cones all the way fro Louvain-La-Neuve just to attend! Our team is geometrically variable as I got to be known as the "Quizz Mercenary".
Located in the EU neighbourhood, it attract of course, the Commission and Consilium crowd needing a drink after work, young stagiaires and some occasionnal odd Belgian like myself. The dark woods everywhere pub-theme is how it looks like inside but kudos to the ceiling tiles epresenting different kind of oaks. I can be found there every Monday evening and there is no way I can invited to anything that night of the week.

Address: rue Franklinstraat 26, 1000 Brussels
Phone: +32-(0)2-735 7544
Theme: Eating and Drinking
Website: http://www.celticpubs.com/celtweb/oldoakbxl.html

• Written May 1, 2006

Comments

melissa_bel Lives Here!

melissa_bel

“I came, I saw and I can't stop going.”

Have you been to Brussels?