"Dover Downs Slots" Top 5 Page for this destination Dover Things to Do Tip by Ewingjr98

Dover Things to Do: 46 reviews and 106 photos

After two years in Dover, I finally visited the slots. Entering the building is like entering another world...the flashing lights and crazy noises make the place feel like a carnival, and the unusual mix of old people staring at the screens in a daze makes it seem more like an old folks home than a gaming area.

I played several of the slots games which range from 1 cent to 5 dollars, but I spent most of my time at the 1 and 5 cent machines. I immediately won $30 at the penny slots, then over the course of an hour lost all that and my original $20. That was about enough fun for me, so we wandered around and watched the weirdoes. We also walked upstairs to the simulcast area, where the crowd was younger, but looked just as dazed and bored. Finally, we snuck into the enclosed grandstand which overlooks the dog track and the NASCAR track. I knew about the smoking area along the track, so we walked down and took a quick peek.

One thing I like about the Dover slots is that it's almost entirely change-less these days. When you cash out you get a receipt showing how much money you still have. You can take this receipt to any slot machine (though some refused to accept our receipt) and insert it to begin playing, or you can take your receipt to the cashier to cash out.

Directions: Northern end of dover between Rts 13 and 1
Website: http://www.doverdowns.com/

• Updated Nov 20, 2006

Comments

Ewingjr98

“"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~ Ernest Hemingway”

Have you been to Dover?