"Monastery Life" Religion Tip by janetanne

Religion, Crete Island: 3 reviews and 5 photos

Agia Irini-window of secrecy?
by janetanne

Agia Irini-window of secrecy?
      Fixing Coffee for Visitors
      Courtyard of Agia Irini
    by janetanne

There are many monasteries throughout Greece, but Crete is especially famous for its lovely religious retreats. Around Rethymnon, you will find several, among which is Agia Irini, a newly built monastery for women. The women who live there all seemed to be fairly young and the gounds were immaculate and flowing with flowers and trees.
It is customary to visit during proper hours, that is early in the morning and usually after 5pm til closing. Be sure to check the visiting hours as it is frowned upon if you disturb the solitary time that these unique dwellers require.
As I was waiting for the church to be opened by the 'Kalogries' as they are so called in Greek, I happened to see an opportunity for a unique 'artistic' photo which I thought would be quite harmless! Needless to say, one of the Kalogries saw me and very angrily slammed the window shut while at the same time shouting, "did I say you had permission to take my photo?" I certainly had meant no harm and the distance was so far that the girl's image was not clear enough for later identificaiton. So, the lesson here is to be very careful about taking photos in such situation. Be sure you ask first, or at least be inconspicious as possible. In most cases, it is not allowed to take photos inside the churches with flash and sometimes not at all.
Well, I got my photo anyway...what do you think?

• Updated Apr 29, 2006

Comments

janetanne Visits Here Frequently!

janetanne

“He who hesitates is lost”

Have you been to Crete Island?