"Visit the Isles of Lavezzi" Bonifacio Things to Do Tip by Melanie88

One of the beaches
      Turtle shaped rock formations
      Me at the beach
    by Melanie88
      Fish came to eat bread from my hand
  • Fish - Bonifacio
    by Melanie88

From the Bonifacio Marina, you can find boats that will take you to visit the the Isles of Lavezzi in the Straits of Bonifacio. Lavezzi Islands are the southernmost part of France; and have been designated a marine preserve by the French government. The boat tours leave in the morning and drop off the tourists on the island, then return later in the day to take you back to Bonifacio. The boat tour I took gave the option to be picked up at 2:30 or 4:30. From the drop off point, you will have many options. You can follow the crowds - which basically divided into two groups and went separate ways. Or, if you prefer you can tour the island on your own. At first, I followed the larger crowd, then after I swam at that location for a while, I wandered around and found other parts of the island to explore. You will need to bring a picnic lunch, plenty of water, sunblock, a disposable waterproof camera (I got one at Wal*Mart before I left the states for $7.43) and of course your swim suit, towels, and any beach equipment. Keep in mind, the walking time to some of the more popular beaches is 10 - 15 minutes. I brought my snorkel and mask and spent hours checking out the beautiful fish and seashells. I fed the fish some of my bread from my hand, that was exciting. It was a very relaxing day. I spent 20 Euros on my tour. Hint - if you don't immediately take out your wallet to pay, but stay interested in taking the tour, they may knock off 5 Euros - the original price the guy quoted me was 25 Euros.

Directions: Bonifacio Marina - They tour groups are impossible to miss, they call out and ask if you would like to go to the island.

• Updated Apr 27, 2006

“Explore, Discover, Savor the moment”

Have you been to Bonifacio?