Mara Safari Club: "Great Kenya Safari experience" Masai Mara Game Reserve Hotel Tip by cjs703

Masai Mara Game Reserve Hotels: 57 reviews and 126 photos

I've never been on a Safari tour before, so I can't compare my stay to anything else, but the Mara Safari Club was great. The accomodations are in 'luxery tents'. If you have a picture of a Coleman with a few tent poles then you have the wrong idea. These are basically hotel room sized tents with electricity. My tent had 2 pretty large beds that each had mosquitto nets for nighttime mosquitto protection. The shower's had hot water, but sometimes it took several minutes for it to run to your tent depending on how far away you were from the water tower. My tent ended up being at the far end of camp, so it took about 10-15 minutes to walk to the main building. That wasn't really a problem, might as well get some good walking in. The safari guides were extremely knowledgable, and very easy to get along with. We were able to get very close to Lions, Cheetah's, Rhino's, etc. The camp is located right next to the river, and a large amount of Hippo's gather nearby. One thing that I highly recommend if you go on a Safari tour is to bring binoculars, you will get alot more out of it. Bring that and a camera and you are good to go. This camp also offers a day tip to Lake Victoria by plane where you have the opportunity to go fishing. When you return the cooks will even cook your fish for you and serve it to you at dinner. It's a day long trip, and from what I remember it was sort of expensive (around $500). If you have the extra cash it may be worth it if you don't plan on being back in Kenya any time soon. The camp has their own airstrip, so it's not difficult to get there by plane. I flew out of Nairobi on a Friday afternoon and returned Sunday morning which was enough time for 5 game drives. I think that is good enough to get a full Safari experience. If you plan on doing the Lake Victoria trip I would add an extra day to that. If you need to call someone, bring a GSM phone and ask to be taken to the mobile phone spot just outside the camp entrance. It seems to be the only place a signal can be acquired.

Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Price: US$80-120
Theme: Campground

• Updated Apr 25, 2006

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Have you been to Masai Mara Game Reserve?