"Xhosa homesteads" Cape Town Local Custom Tip by Jenniflower
Cape Town Local Customs: 53 reviews and 49 photos
Homesteads have always traditionally been circular in format, with screened off kitchen areas outside the circular sleeping area. The hut is made of a frame of poles and shrubbery and boughs from trees in the shape of a bee hive.
They built these huts in a semi circle, and in the middle was their prized cattle. They made their homesteads like this for safety. Their maize was also safely stored away, in shallow pits beneath the cattle enclosure!
More Reviews (87)
- See All General info on Cape Town
- See All Cheap accommodation in Cape Town
- What to bring with?
- See All Oudtshoorn
- See All Mother of pizza :)
- See All Shark awareness whilst surfing or...
- See All Sculpture market on the roadside
- Rugby in the sand!
- See All Robben Island Museum
- See All Camps Bay bars and restaurants
- See All Victoria & Alfred Harbour
Been to Cape Town?Share your travels with the world!
Jenniflower's Related Pages
Have you been to Cape Town?Share Your Travels