"What a Drop!" Top 5 Page for this destination Waterfalls Tip by KiKitC

Waterfalls, Hilo: 17 reviews and 36 photos

Akaka Falls - 420 foot drop!
by KiKitC

Akaka Falls - 420 foot drop!
      Us at Kahuna Falls
    by KiKitC

Just a short trip from Hilo, and you can see some of the most impressive waterfalls and lush bamboo jungles. We headed up north from Hilo and took a road a couple miles back to Akaka Falls Park. This is a popular spot, but the payoff is big.

There are actually two waterfalls here, Akaka Falls and Kahuna Falls. You can take the trail that leads around to both, but be prepared for slippery, sometimes steep trails. With the pins in my hand and the large cast, I was finding it a little difficult to walk the trail. First of all, holding on to a railing always seemed to be on the bad hand side, and I certainly didn't want to fall...

So you take this trail through the bamboo jungle and we got to the Kahuna Falls first. It drops about 100 feet. Then we continued around the path and got to Akaka Falls. The Akaka Falls drops an awe-inspiring 420 feet!

This is a great short trip out of Hilo, so it should be included on things to do lists for everyone!

Directions: Take 19 north from Hilo to mile marker 13 and take the road to Akaka Falls. There are signs...

• Written Apr 19, 2006

Comments

KiKitC

“The Road Less Traveled?...that's a highway to me...”

Have you been to Hilo?