"Nakalele Blowhole" Top 5 Page for this destination Maui Things to Do Tip by Albernfrau

Maui Things to Do: 486 reviews and 992 photos

Nakalele Blowhole is the result of the ocean wearing away the shore below the lava shelf. Every wave causes water to be forced through a hole in the lava shelf resulting in the blowing of water. The "blowing" of the water depends on tide levels and strength of the waves. High tide and choppy conditions provide the best blows. I strongly suggest hiking right down to it just don't get too close. I clenched my teeth as my hubby went right up to it and stared down the hole; wouldn't recommend this as people have been killed doing this. Make sure you have found the right blowhole. We spent 30 mins. staring at relatively inactive blowhole finally heading back to our car disappointed. We took a different route back to our car only to come upon the real blowhole!

The Nakalele Blowhole is the most northern part of Maui

Directions: Hwy 30 north from Kapalua. The Acid War Zone trail is near Mile #38 at a gravel parking lot. Approx. 30 mins. to hike to blowhole. The 2nd trail to the blowhole is just past Mile Marker #38 and is marked by a dirt pullout along the side of the road.

• Updated Apr 19, 2006

“One cannot ever see enough of this beautiful world!”

Have you been to Maui?