"Sunrise at Haleakala" Top 5 Page for this destination Maui Things to Do Tip by Albernfrau

Maui Things to Do: 486 reviews and 992 photos

Call 808-877-5111 for the time of the sunrise and the weather at Haleakala (and everywhere else on Maui). Try to go and see the sunrise when there is some cloud cover expected. The sunrise at Haleakala (over 10,000 ft) is a little overrated but it makes for an adventure. I almost enjoyed the view of the clouds better than the sun as they were amazing and creepy and beautiful all at the same time. We left Kihei at 3:00am and we were the 4th car to the summit. I never get carsick but the drive up to the summit made me feel incredibly ill as it is so windy and it is pitch black so your body can't get its bearings as you go around the windy curves. It is cold up there! I was wearing lots of layers including two hats, a scarf and gloves but I would bring a blanket next time. If you plan on leaving the summit right after sunset get going quickly before all the bike tours descend. Cost of entry to Haleakala $10 per vehicle.

Address: From Hwy 37 take Hwy 377 to 378 to the top
Website: http://www.haleakala.national-park.com/

• Updated Apr 19, 2006

Comments

Albernfrau

“One cannot ever see enough of this beautiful world!”

Have you been to Maui?