Potts: "Unpretentious Craft Bakers" Barnsley Shopping Tip by suvanki

Barnsley Shopping: 1 reviews and 1 photos

potts bakery logo
by suvanki

This was one of those accidental great finds!
I'd nipped out in my lunch break to buy a sandwich, and came across this bakers shop.

It looked like a normal sandwich /cake shop, typically found in small towns.

I chose a ham sandwich from the short list of cold sandwiches, (although I was nearly tempted by the hot roast pork- which smelt delicious) with home made apple chutney!!

While my sandwich was being made, I spotted some bread rolls with seeds, then some cakes including one made with stem ginger. These wouldn't have looked out of place in some of the 'high class' grocers etc. (I purchased both items)

I then noticed a sign, which stated that Potts Bakers were the only Yorkshire Bakers rated by Rick Stein in his Food Heroes series.

I paid for my items, which were very reasonable, then sat in the sun to eat my sandwich-it was delicious!!

Curious about this shop, I looked it up on the internet.

Established in 1891, Potts bakery is owned and run by Roger and Andrew Potts.
This is a craft bakery, and is soil association registered, with organic cakes sold to retailers locally and nationwide. Locally sourced ingredients are used wherever possible, without addition of unecessary additives. The nearby bakery supplies its 5 shops in Barnsley.

The special thing for me was that this was a craft bakery, selling good quality organic food, without the inflated prices, 'olde worlde'/ 'new age' imagery/gimmicks - No advertising fanfares - just honest 'normal' retail. It reminded me a bit of the local family bakers from my childhood.

As soon as I can, I'll be back here

What to buy: Bread- breadcakes, loaves etc.

Cakes - fruitcakes, gingercakes, cream cakes, chocolate cakes-Mmmmmmm!

Buns - again a good selection

savoury pies/pizza - sold hot or cold

sandwiches - hot or cold -

What to pay: I paid 1.60 for my ham sandwich with home made apple chutney. - a bargain for quality bread, lots of delicious ham, and plenty of fruity chutney.

I'll check out other prices at my next visit.

Address: 514, Doncaster Road, Stairfoot, Barnsley,S70 3PE
Directions: Off the Stairfoot roundabout, heading to Ardsley. Potts is on your right hand side.
othercontact: potts.bakers@care4free.co.uk