"Shared vans" Get a Taxi Tip by Dabs

Get a Taxi, Rio de Janeiro: 36 reviews and 14 photos

Although Lonely Planet doesn't seem to have a problem with shared vans, Let's Go says to avoid these because they are illegal and controlled by the mob, I'd recommend avoiding them because you will have NO idea where they are going unless you speak Portugese. We were making the long trek from our hotel to Marius, at opposite ends of Copacabana beach, and when we realized we would never get there on foot, we went to hail a taxi and one of these vans stopped. We hopped in thinking they were similar to the ones in Playa del Carmen that run along a major road but before we got to the end of Av. Atlantica, the driver turned and we had to get out. They charged us R$1.90 each when we exited and we walked the rest of the way.

On the way back we tried it again but the driver turned almost immediately but then made another left on a street parallel to Av. Atlantica. My usually calm husband started getting nervous that we were going way out of our way (I thought we were fine because I could still see where the beach was) so we hopped out after a bit and walked back to our hotel.

Mode: AROUND
Type: Other

• Updated Apr 11, 2006

More Transportation in Rio de Janeiro (1)

Comments

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to Rio de Janeiro?