"Best Avoided" Fawlty Towers Hotel Tip by got2go2

Fawlty Towers Hotel, Yangshuo: 16 reviews and 0 photos

I guess I should have known better when I was scouted out from the arriving bus. The guy at the counter with his poor English and lack of brochures or anything in writing wasn't able to get us on any overpriced tours. Instead, he just took our US currency from the safe.

The first day he tried to sell us on a bicycle tour where we could have lunch at his house. It was over 100y while bicycle rentals were about 15y per day. We tried to get information on the local bus that would travel down the main road passing by the major sights. He told us repeatedly there were no buses and offered us a 300y tour to some caves we were interested in. I continued to repeat, ?no local buses??, and asked how people got around, and he said taxi. I made the remark they would be expensive, he smiled.

We went to a cave that was going to require us to be in mud and water, we put out passports in a zipped bag with the loose pages facing down to conceal the US currency that wouldn?t be needed until we were back in the States. He put it into a plastic bag and into the safe. We decided to leave it there until we were going to depart. As we were hurrying over to the bus station on the morning of our departure, we discovered the U.S. currency was gone. Coincidentally, the desk clerk never greeted us after the lack of bookings, until a day after we put things in the safe.

The shower was in the same space as the toilet, which meant the floor and sink were both soaked after a shower. Since we would be departing for the day I figured this would be no problem, since the room would be cleaned and mopped right after showering. The commode had two push buttons on top. One flushed and the other stopped. The flush was so deep and hard to press; we left a pen to help.

Address: 32 Pantao Rd, Yangshuo, directly across from bus station driveway
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Straight across the street from bus station driveway, up narrow flight of stairs
Phone: 773 8824309
Price: less than US$20
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://

• Written Apr 8, 2006

Comments

Ranked Member

Have you been to Yangshuo?