"Street food" Germany Restaurant Tip by mayafly

Germany Restaurants: 273 reviews and 485 photos

One of my favorite things to do in any country (even though I know it's often hazardous to your intestines) is to try food from street vendors. In Germany, the classic street food is, of course, Wurst (sausage). I was recently watching the Olympics in Torino and saw that one of Germany's Luge team members, Georg Hackl, is nicknamed the "Flying White Sausage." White sausage, I thought? Gross. Then I realized that "white sausage," is "Weisswurst," one of the many tasty varieties of German sausage. As usual, it sounds better in the original. But my favorite has to be Currywurst, where they sprinkle on some curry powder and then douse it in ketchup. Okay, I guess you have to try it to believe me.

If you're vegetarian, Turkish places have some great veggie options to go. (Many are convenient to eat on the street since they're all wrapped up.) There's falafel, of course, but one of my favorites is Tuerkische Pizza (Lahmacun), a flat bread baked with some spices, then rolled up with vegetables and a sauce (spicy, garlic, etc.) to go. Pretzels are also a good snack.

And don't forget to get a beer to go with it! (Something I miss being able to do in America...)

Address: Just walk around and you'll find some...
Comparison: least expensive