The Sprout: "Vegan Cousine!" Top 5 Page for this destination St. John's Restaurant Tip by jamiesno

St. John's Restaurants: 62 reviews and 107 photos

The Sprout is a vegetarian restaurant in St. John's that I thought I would try out for something new. I am not a vegan so I wasn't sure what to expect. I was outside reading the street menu when this very friendly hostess ran out and quickly erased soup off the menu. They had just run out and then she explained the special.

It was a smelted crepe with mushrooms, sundried tomatos, and apples covered with a gravey. The apple / gravy combination had be wondering but I went on it. It's a funky decor and its' obvioius the other visitors are healthy people.

The menu had all kinds of interesting items but I went for the special. I remember the salads obviously but other things with beans and so on. They say the menu is excellent.
The drink menu included local beers from Quidi Vidi Brewing Company and Storm Brewery.

So in any event after my visit I guess it is possible to live without meat but I am not sure I would want to still.

Schiralli-Earle, 28, and her business partner Julia Bloomquist, 24, own the place. Apparently Schiralli-Earle, originally from New Brunswick, and Bloomquist, from Ontario, met several years ago in a bush camp in northern Ontario. Schiralli-Earle was in the kitchen; Bloomquist was tree planting.

Schiralli-Earle met her future husband in the camp up north who was from Newfoundland and they later moved to St. John's.

While Schiralli-Earle is a strict vegetarian apparently Bloomquist says she eats some fish though most of her meals are vegetarian. But they say everyone will find something to enjoy, and leave The Sprout with a bellyful.

When designing their menu, which features salads, soups, chili, sandwiches, burgers, noodle and rice bowls and weekend brunch items the women aimed to be efficient in terms of supplies, and cost-effective for the diners (nothing is over $8.50). They also serve organic coffee and daily fresh-baked muffins.

Have fun at the Sprout!!!

Address: 364 Duckworth Street
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Just one street up and right next to George Street.
Phone: 709 579 5485
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 4
Theme: Vegan/Vegetarian

• Written Apr 6, 2006

Comments

jamiesno

“Little by little, one travels far. J. R. R. Tolkien (1892 - 1973)”

Have you been to St. John's?