"Romping ground of the rich & famous: Knokke-Heist" Belgium Things to Do Tip by xuessium

Belgium Things to Do: 941 reviews and 1,119 photos

Romping resort grounds of Belgium's rich & famous indeed - Snooty place - it was claimed that the Belgian movie star, Jean-Claude van Damme has a mansion here.

I arrived in Knokke-Heist at the worst of weathers - a tearing sky was bellowing behind heavy grey thunderclouds. A gale was blowing, sending tears into our eyes.

I touched the Atlantic in Belgium here, having gone down to the brownish coloured beach for a quick stroll. There were a number of beach front restaurants, but with summer retreating hastily, they were all closed. I could only imagine how packed this place would be during the height of summer; folks enjoying their meals out right on the beach, happily chatting and raising their wine or beer glasses.

A line of high-rise apartment blocks dotted the length of the beach, where there is a pavement wide enough to accommodate walking pedestrians, cyclists and even skateboarders. Took a tour of the town in my Belgian buddy's car, both of us safe against the full assault of the elements. Plenty of beautiful mansions, hiding behind high fences and sophiscated security. I learnt that the town took great pains to paint an aura of art, culture, cultivation and pomp...anything deemed beneath the image of the town was frowned upon.

Possibly a place you can wander to and walk with your nostrils held high.

• Written Apr 1, 2006

Have you been to Belgium?