"Musee du Luxembourg" Paris Off The Beaten Path Tip by CALSF

Paris Off The Beaten Path: 1,984 reviews and 4,129 photos

Musee du Luxembourg
by CALSF

I learned before arriving in Paris that the Musee du Luxembourg was hosting an art exhibition, The Phillips Collection, until March 26th. Since I'd be in Paris during the final week of this exhibit, I decided I should see it. The museum is not always open unless there are exhibits so it was a good opportunity to visit.

The Phillips Collection consists of artwork that a wealthy American, Duncan Phillips, acquired in his lifetime and is displayed in his former home in Washington, DC. There were works by many artists from the impressionists to the modernists. My favorite section was the Impressionists. There were beautiful paintings by Degas, Manet, Monet, and Renoir whose painting "Le Dejeuner des Canotiers" is my favorite Impressionist painting. To see it displayed prominiently in person was like a dream come true. I never travelled to DC so have not seen these paintings. Unbelievably "Le Dejeuner des Canotiers" has been on tour for four years and will return home to DC in April where it will be exhibited until July.

Website: http://www.museeduluxembourg.fr/

• Written Mar 31, 2006

Comments

CALSF Visits Here Frequently!

Have you been to Paris?