"Sundew Trail" Top 5 Page for this destination Beaumont Things to Do Tip by grandmaR

Beaumont Things to Do: 23 reviews and 45 photos

• Sundew - Beaumont
    by grandmaR
      Sign at the trail entrance
      Road in the Preserve
      Pitcher plane
    by grandmaR

The Preserve consists of nine land units and six water corridors encompassing more than 97,000 acres. It has 4 of the 5 kinds of carnivorous plants in the US. These are pitcher plants, sundews, bladderworts, and butterworts. The Sundew Trail (which was recommended by the lady at the visitor's center because it has a shorter inner loop) has two of them on it - Sundews and Pitcher Plants. The outer loop is 1.6 miles and the inner loop is .8 miles. Both loops are accessible; the inner loop is mostly boardwalk.

I took the little pamphlet (photo 5) which explains the trail from the box (and when we finished with the trail, I put it back). The pamphlet explained that four species of southern pine in this section (longleaf, shortleaf, loblolly and slash). It also explained that the sundew is a very small plant - often smaller than a dime - which is a flat red rosette with red hairlike glands. Each gland produces a sticky fluid which acts like flypaper to trap small insects.

So I was walking along the trail and slightly elevated boardwalk carefully inspecting the ground. Bob got somewhat ahead of me on the path, so when I actually found some sundews, he was out of earshot. I was thrilled to find them, and got down and took some pictures.The only thing that would make it better would be if I had some object in the picture to show the scale. But I didn't have any money, and in any case I couldn't have retrieved anything I put down there - like car keys. I wouldn't have minded losing a dime, but I wouldn't want to lose the keys.

After I got finished taking the pictures, I went on down the trail and found Bob sitting down waiting for me where he had found some pitcher plants. So I took some pictures of them too.

Directions: In order to find the various sections of the park, you need to get a map at the visitor's center or off the internet. The Sundew Trail is located in the Hickory Creek Savannah Unit
Phone: 409-951-6725
Website: http://www.nps.gov/archive/bith/trails.htm

• Updated Dec 12, 2009

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Have you been to Beaumont?