Cafe Poet: "A Small Oasis of Relative Calm" Cafe Poet Tip by johngayton

Cafe Poet, Prague: 2 reviews and 2 photos

Budvar for Lunch!
by johngayton

Situated in a quiet corner of Prague Castle overlooking the Southern Gardens the Cafe Poet (no amount of searching has thrown up its Czech name) is an ideal place to put your feet up for an hour and enjoy a light lunch and a beer or two.

On both my half-days visiting the castle I enjoyed a leisurely lunch there sitting outside, relatively undisturbed by the masses. With its location being off the main tourist circuit only those who have searched it out, or have been wandering aimlessly, will come across it - the only exception being one tour group of Japanese who temporarily besieged the place during my second visit - such is life!

Favorite Dish: The menu itself is obviously aimed at visitors looking for a quick bite to eat with a selection of sandwiches, salads, pasta dishes and pastries, but none the worse for it.

Translation problems are overcome by the menu being not only in three languages but by being pictorial also - point and nod being the order of the day.

I think I had some sort of salad on my first visit, which must have been OK otherwise I wouldn't have gone back again. On my second visit I had a pasta dish with julienne of fillet steak which whilst not attempting to even ascend the first rung of the gastronomic ladder was tasty, filling and cheap - washed down by a couple of Budvars the bill came to about 300 KCz - at the time about $10.

As an alternative to eating in one of the cafes in the main part of the castle with their standardised "Eurest" menues this is well worth seeking out.

Address: Prague Castle
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: In the South-west corner overlooking the ramparts and gardens.
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 4
Theme: Coffeehouse

• Written Mar 28, 2006

Comments

johngayton

“The slow lane often gets you there faster”

Have you been to Prague?