"The BIGGEST & BEST Railway Museum in the world!" National Railway Museum Tip by jduck1979

National Railway Museum, York: 38 reviews and 93 photos

55009 "Alycidon" (my fave loco when I was little)
by jduck1979

55009 "Alycidon" (my fave loco when I was little)
    by jduck1979
      The train from the HARRY POTTER movie(s)
      A retired Japanese bullet train
      The Chinese Steam locomotive
    by jduck1979
      A selection of loco's in the Great Hall (Jul 04)
    by jduck1979

This has always been a favourite place of mine..... I think my first visit must have been when I was about 5 or 6, but I didn't get to go again 'til I was 25 'cos my family was too damn cheap to take me there.
Since then, the entrance fee has been scrapped (except for special events days).... I think you have to still book in at the entrance, but I just go in anyway.
There are all manner of locomotives and railway related items to have a gander at..... from a replica of George Stephenson's Rocket, to a cast off Japanese Bullet Train..... a chuffin' huge Chinese Steam locomotive, and all sorts.... including MALLARD (world's fastest steam loco) + also OLTON HALL (as used in the HARRY POTTER movie).
There are a variety of places to eat around the museum..... from a couple of picnic areas, to a cafe..... including one in the great hall, with seating that puts you right next to the buffers of a large Steam loco (I think it was "Duchess of Hamilton", but can't remember)..... the food was good (though a bit on the fancy side) & the waitresses weren't bad either (at least in Summer 2004 when I last went).
If you love Trains, or anything to do with heavy engineering, you'll just love this place :-)

Address: Leeman Road,York,YO26 4XJ
Directions: From the railway station turn left along Station Road. Take the next left turn into Leeman Road and follow the road for about 150m. The museum is on the right.
Phone: 01904 621261 Fax:01904 611112