"Morning Reflections in Lake Mapourika" New Zealand Off The Beaten Path Tip by AKtravelers
New Zealand Off The Beaten Path: 233 reviews and 269 photos
While we never got to see the classic reflections in the placid early morning Lake Matheson, we found our own unheralded New Zealand lake on which to see the Southern Alps -- Lake Mapourika. We got there early enough in the morning so that the lake was relatively calm but late enough so that the morning mist was burning off, revealing Mt. Cook and Mt. Tasman dressed in white before our eyes. We sat there for a while, collecting the beautiful view. Unfortunately, since motorized watercraft are allowed on the lake, the sublime reflections are occassionally broken up by wakes. But, all in all, it was worth the short drive from our Okarito campground.
More Off The Beaten Path in New Zealand (8)
More Reviews (37)
- See All New Zealand -- Not Always an Ecotourism...
- See All Go to the top of Skytower
- Sleeping in Lamb Skins
- See All Don't Drive over 110 km/hr
- See All South Island's Beaches Are Gar and Empty
- New Zealanders love to boat
- See All Our Vaorite Accommodation: Friends
- See All Kaikoura = Eat Seafood!
- Bizarre but Tasty Chocolate in...
- See All Driving on the Left
- Auckland's Harbour -- Full of Nighttime...
Been to New Zealand?Share your travels with the world!
AKtravelers' Related Pages
Have you been to New Zealand?Share Your Travels