"Restricted vehicle entry in Rome center" Top 5 Page for this destination Driving Tip by icunme
Driving, Rome: 18 reviews and 30 photos
In Rome, the historic centre has restricted access to private and rental cars, but vehicles with foreign registration plates are allowed in for visitors to reach their hotels. Traffic police will require the name of the hotel and possibly a pass previously provided by the hotel before allowing a vehicle through.
Throughout the country (but particularly in Rome and the other larger cities) Italians drive very close to the rear of the car in front (tailgating). They will also fill any available space in traffic, giving the impression to visiting drivers that they are being deliberately 'cut off'. This, and the way they dodge around pedestrians crossing the street, can prove disturbing to some visitors. Surprisingly, there are very few accidents for the concentration of traffic because everyone seems to obey the same unwritten rules and traffic moves steadily. Taking literally the maxim 'When in Rome', it is probably better to 'do as the Romans do', keep calm and watch the car in front.
To drive in Italy, visitors require a valid EU driving licence or International Driving Permit. It is possible for non-EU drivers to use a valid licence from their home country, but without an authorised Italian translation there can be problems.
Type: Car/Motor Home
More Transportation in Rome (16)
More Reviews (225)
- See All Orto Botanico - Garden Oasis for nature...
- See All Sushi in Rome
- See All CARAVAGGIO Exhibit - Palazzo Venezia
- See All 3-star in 5-star location
- See All Biggest MALL in Rome - Parco Leonardo
- See All Low Cost Airport Transfer - USO Rome...
- See All Christmas Eve 7 Fish Traditional Dinner
- See All Should I rent a scooter to see Rome?
- See All Bike and Hike along the Via Appia Antica
- See All JONATHAN'S ANGELS - not an angel seen...
- Villa Borghese overpriced and surley...
Been to Rome?Share your travels with the world!
icunme's Related Pages
Have you been to Rome?Share Your Travels