The Bach: "A Top Ten Restaurant in New Zealand" New Zealand Restaurant Tip by AKtravelers
New Zealand Restaurants: 162 reviews and 140 photos
Our B&B owners in Taupo recommended the Bach, a lakefront restaurant with views of Tongariro, as one of the top ten restaurants in New Zealand. Apparently some publication is out to name the best restaurant in the country and Taupo's very own The Bach (pronounced like "Batch" not like the composer) is in the finals. with a recommendation like that, we had to try it and it was our best meal in New Zealand. Andrea had the red snapper and I had the best venecin in my life. We had great wine and fabulous desserts, though we probably could have had even better wine if we were interested in paying $600 a bottle! It was also our most expensive meal in New Zealand, withthe final bill somewhere around $175 for both of us. But it was definitely worth it!
Even though Taupo is the trout capital of New Zealand, it is illegal to serbe trout in restaurants or sell it in stores. You have to catch it yourself.
Unfortunately, we didn't bring a camera to The Bach, because sunset was beautiful. But I got up the next morning and caught sunrise from the same spot.
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: On route 1 along the lake shore east of the town center
Price: US$41 and up
More Restaurants in New Zealand (1)
More Reviews (44)
- See All New Zealand -- Not Always an Ecotourism...
- See All Go to the top of Skytower
- See All Okains Bay: Small & Overlooked on Banks...
- Sleeping in Lamb Skins
- See All Don't Drive over 110 km/hr
- See All South Island's Beaches Are Gar and Empty
- New Zealanders love to boat
- See All Our Vaorite Accommodation: Friends
- Bizarre but Tasty Chocolate in...
- See All Driving on the Left
- Auckland's Harbour -- Full of Nighttime...
Been to New Zealand?Share your travels with the world!
AKtravelers' Related Pages
Have you been to New Zealand?Share Your Travels