The Bach: "A Top Ten Restaurant in New Zealand" New Zealand Restaurant Tip by AKtravelers

New Zealand Restaurants: 162 reviews and 140 photos

Sunrise over Lake Taupo
by AKtravelers

Our B&B owners in Taupo recommended the Bach, a lakefront restaurant with views of Tongariro, as one of the top ten restaurants in New Zealand. Apparently some publication is out to name the best restaurant in the country and Taupo's very own The Bach (pronounced like "Batch" not like the composer) is in the finals. with a recommendation like that, we had to try it and it was our best meal in New Zealand. Andrea had the red snapper and I had the best venecin in my life. We had great wine and fabulous desserts, though we probably could have had even better wine if we were interested in paying $600 a bottle! It was also our most expensive meal in New Zealand, withthe final bill somewhere around $175 for both of us. But it was definitely worth it!
Even though Taupo is the trout capital of New Zealand, it is illegal to serbe trout in restaurants or sell it in stores. You have to catch it yourself.
Unfortunately, we didn't bring a camera to The Bach, because sunset was beautiful. But I got up the next morning and caught sunrise from the same spot.

Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: On route 1 along the lake shore east of the town center
Price: US$41 and up
Rating: 5
Theme: Local

• Updated Mar 19, 2006

More Restaurants in New Zealand (1)

“My plan:1. See the world 2. Have a beer”

Have you been to New Zealand?