"The Copper King Mansion" Top 5 Page for this destination Butte Things to Do Tip by EllenH

Butte Things to Do: 14 reviews and 21 photos

The architecture In Butte is amazing, better then I have seen in any other town in Montana. This belonged to one of the original 3 copper kings of Butte, William Clark, the other 2 were Finlan whose son financed the hotel we just stayed at, and Daly, who founded the town I now live in. More money then anything they had. This place is actually now a B&B so you could stay there, they have 4 rooms available for B&B that range in price from $65 to $95. We reserved the $65 room but when we got there, we were the only guests so he gave us the $95 for the same price. This room was actually William Clarks' personal suite and it was quite nice. Ended up having another couple ladies staying there that night and we all had a very nice breakfast together in the morning. It was nice and it was fun but once was enough, I am much more comfortable going back to a hotel after being out in Butte's infamous bars. You can also tour it and just look at the way an excess of money was spent almost a hundred years ago this guy was worth 50,000,000!

I guess the man had a more interesting history then I knew, his 104 year old daughter owns mansions all over the United states that have been kept up and no one has seen her. She is a billionaire mystery woman. Ah, the secrets of Butte, America!

Address: 219 west granite st. Butte MT
Website: http://www.thecopperkingmansion.com.

• Updated Aug 19, 2010

Comments

EllenH

“Have Westfalia, will travel (but planes are good also)”

Have you been to Butte?